The rules? Prepare a dish of your choice, savory or sweet, but 90 percent of the ingredients must be either raised, grown or foraged in Northern Michigan and an additional 5 percent must be raised, grown or foraged somewhere in Michigan. Additionally, the chefs agreed to provide our readers with their recipes and list of local ingredients—so the MyNorth audience could shop local and prepare the dishes themselves at home.
With so much goodness coming from so many restaurant kitchens we’re sending MyNorth Media videographer Kris Riley to capture the action in high-definition video. Immediately after they are produced, each Chef Showdown: Local Foods video will be posted on MyNorth.com—accompanied by press releases announcing their posting. (To find the videos on MyNorth.com simply type “Chef Showdown: Local Foods” into the search bar.) Once all the videos are live on the site, we’ll invite our online readers to vote on their favorite recipes and announce the popular vote.
Chef Eric Nittolo of The Boathouse Restaurant hosts the first episode of Chef Showdown: Local Foods with a sumptuous lamb recipe prepared in his kitchen on Old Mission Peninsula just north of Traverse City. Consumers can watch this first demonstration of cooking with Northern Michigan’s foods on Monday, May 3rd on MyNorth.com.
Here are the chefs competing in MyNorth.com Chef Showdown: Local Foods:
- Eric Nittolo, The Boathouse Restaurant, Old Mission Peninsula
- Darren Hawley, Crystal Mountain Resort, Thompsonville
- Sam Hybels, Gusto Ristorante, Suttons Bay
- Martha Ryan, Martha’s Leelanau Table, Suttons Bay
- Randy Chamberlain, Blu, Glen Arbor
- John Piombo, Executive Chef, The Homestead Resort , Glen Arbor
- Gerald Gramzay, Corporate Chef, Stafford’s, Petoskey
- Joseph M. George, Executive Chef, Grand Traverse Resort & Spa, Acme
- Phil Murray, Phil’s on Front Street, Traverse City
- David Beier, Walloon Lake Inn, Walloon Lake
- Tom Sawyer, Riverside Inn, Leland
- Eric Patterson, Cook’s House, Traverse City
- Hannah Bistro, Traverse City
- Myles Anton, Trattoria Stella, Traverse City